Saturday, July 21, 2012

Near Death Experience

It's rarely a good idea to appreciate the lack of upheaval and disturbance here because the very act of gratitude awakens the coyote gods and nudges them into action.
Last night, I had been stricken with some kind of illness and after expressing it, fell asleep, to awaken after dark to screaming.
By the time I got my arthritic self to the door, turned on the light and made my way out into the yard, it was clear that one of my chickens was being hauled away into the woods.
I'm assuming that she was meant as a practice kill for some kits, or puppies or other young, because she was alive and alone when I found her, but extremely freaked out, yelling and ruffled.
I really have no business being responsible for any life forms at all, I don't seem to be able to stay focused on their safety long enough to keep them alive.
Today, Bette is refusing to leave the coop, not that I blame her, and Buck has plenty to say to me about dereliction of duty.
There have been nights when I have gone to a movie, and the electric door hasn't worked, [ I've pretty much given up on finding a timer that does]  and have returned home around 10 to find nothing worse than a stolen egg or 2.
There were 2 chickens that vanished mysteriously last summer, shortly after they came here, and one that died from a cough.   Otherwise, I've been fortunate in a low death rate.  
Buck has probably kept things together in large part because he never sleeps on the job during the day.  I am trusted to keep away the owls, the raccoons, the fisher cats, the coyotes during the night.  I failed last night.
 I hope that Bette gets through this.  I picked her up and examined her carefully and found no external damage beyond feather loss, I'm not really sure what I should look for.  No broken wings or legs, and she would probably not have stopped shrieking if she were in pain.
I am getting to the point of feeling certain that though I enjoy having these avians wandering around in my life, begging at the window, trying to find ways into the house, lounging on the deck and having their ongoing chat nearby, I'm really not a farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.