Wednesday, August 29, 2012

tyrant chicken.

Buck has been in the yard for over a year now, and rarely attacks me anymore.
The mark I have on my leg from his last gratuitous assault has faded nearly completely.  He has utterly destroyed the broom, though.  He can be standing around, gurgling and chuckling to his girls but if he sees that thing from the corner of his eye, his mental state blossoms from peace and contentment to rage and revenge.
Some months ago I tracked down Buck's previous owner who characterized him as an evil chicken who wouldn't allow anyone in the coop unless they had a broom for protection.  I find that if I have a broom, Buck is busy moving heaven to see that the broom stays away from the coop.



When I pull my car into the yard, Buck comes running excitedly over, hoping for a treat.  If I'm carrying a bag, he will attack it, but I'm pretty sure he's hoping to poke a hole is something that will then spill on the ground.  He calls the hens over in a congenial tone, which is not the warlike one he uses when he believes he's protecting them.
My daughter is still afraid of him, and won't go outside without the dog or me to stand between her and the dangerous beak.



Having firmly established his reputation as a force to be reckoned with, he is free to strut around the yard importantly and proclaim himself the master of all anyone surveys.
I know men like that.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.