Thursday, May 24, 2012

Jail Birds

No more rolling in the perennials or mining in the vegetable garden.  My mother often complained that there was no way to keep jerusalem artichokes from taking over the entire yard, but if she had let me have chickens as a child, she would not have had a jerusalem artichoke problem.  I planted a nice even row of them and they had gotten well established but this year, I see they are coming up in places I wouldn't have picked, and the row?  ..... gone.
This month has been about restoring plantings, and trying to erect a fence that the chickens can't wriggle under or flounder over.  I have a couple of fliers who like to get up on something and flip themselves over the fence in spite of a large piece of lattice placed horizontally off the back of the coop and resting on the fence.
The third day of being imprisoned Buck hooted non stop until 11am while Pearl and Barbie created a groove in the ground next to the fence.  They have shade.  They have water.  They have food. They have treats and they have each other.  I'm letting them out for 3 hours in the afternoon until they go in on their own so that they don't feel completely bereft but I have to say, it is nice to be able to get things done without being ambushed by the angry bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.