Saturday, April 14, 2012

oops, What a relief.

Of the red hens I had Stella and Feather, who hung around in a pair, Bette, the Alpha, and Pearl, the renegade.  On closer inspection this last week, I see that it was Feather who was lost.  Either that or one of the hens other than Pearl  is impersonating her.  It looks as though Stella is sticking closer to Bette and Pearl is in fact still here.  She stands around looking at me as if to convey disappointment that I didn't recognize her.  Now I have to grieve all over again for a different hen while celebrating the one that I thought was lost is now found.
This morning I found the remains of about 1/2 a dozen eggs on the ground and felt a chill wondering if the raccoons were smart enough, cooperative enough and strong enough to lift the fairly heavy lid on the nesting boxes where the eggs usually are.  I think what happened is that several of the hens have been laying eggs underneath the shed that stands next to the chicken coop.  It's nice and low to the ground and dark, probably looks like a good place to leave eggs and keep me from collecting them.  My attitude toward eggs has changed dramatically since I found that I can't eat them, and neither can my granddaughter.  If I get any more chickens, I think I'll go for rescue hens that are menopausal and considered useless by ovitarians.
Every now and then I'll eat an egg, but not having them for some time makes me notice how rich and heavy they are like very fatty meat.  The chickens don't feel this way.
If an egg has been crushed, spilled or partially eaten, they will go and clean up the rest.
There are people who believe in eating the placenta.  Is this the same thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.