Thursday, April 5, 2012

Vandals of Hancock*

O.K.  Somebody want to explain to me how a 14 pound chicken who has never been caught in the act, has been able to dent, bend and render completely useless a galvanized aluminum waterer?
I understand that they are capable of getting on the top and roosting there, fouling it, and that they can kick it over and get the water access all clogged with dung and shavings, which, when mixed correctly with chicken spit, hardens up as solid as any early American brick.
If I hang it from the ceiling, they act as though I am trying to trick them.
It is much harder to roost on when there's a string in the middle and the whole thing swings as they attempt to jump up there for the night.  So I don't hang it from the ceiling.
I have raised it up on a heated platform, but that only makes it more attractive as a roosting location, and the girls squabble over it.
So far, what works best, but means I have to get up early when they are noisy with thirst, is to have 3 or 4 large containers around the yard that are strong enough to hold chickens on the edges without collapsing or tipping over.  I'm not happy that they are denied that last drink of water before going to sleep, the final dodge of small children before entering that uncontrollable dark world, but I'm also not willing to clean out the waterer EVERY DAY.  These Avian Americans already want me to have treats near every door and window of the house, and still Buck runs after me with unfriendly intent if he sees the back of my head.  Chickens are not grateful.... -  I think that's one of the things I like about them.



* This title for those of you who aren't Morris dance familiar, is a play on the title of a dance - Vandals of Hammerwich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.