Friday, March 23, 2012

Bed Hog.

Buck likes to sleep near the door in case any humans try to open it for beak checks at bedtime.
"Check this!" he advised me the last time I was optimistic enough to try it.
I won't be opening that door after dusk without a face mask and a helmet.
Trying to see them through the small chicken door means using a mirror, because there is little time between the sound of Buck jumping off his perch and jamming his beak into my hand and my getting an accurate count. Best if I use a flashlight and look through the window, or trust to the Guardian Angel of Chickens to know if they are all in the coop.
It's not an unreasonable thing to be doing - not compulsive or anything;  sometimes I'm lax and don't latch the door open during the day, and if the wind blows it shut, they have to find some other predator free place to roost.  What I know and they don't is that the only safe place is in the coop.  
Tonight as they were settling down, I heard more arguing than usual and it had a distinctly acrimonious tone.
I found that 2 of the hens had taken Buck's favorite location and would not step aside for him.  He leaned in to their personal space, breathing heavily and making personal remarks.  He moved 180 degrees on the perch in close proximity, disturbing what feathers he had not already raked off their backs.  That did not work after several tries.
  He jumped down and tried jumping up again in the place where his spot should be, landing on recalcitrant hens.  Eventually, he gave up and just crowded them, hoping that time, and no pillows or blankets would do the trick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.