Saturday, March 17, 2012

Downward mobility



There is no point in providing Buck with attractive hens of interesting lineage.  He will have her looking like a crack whore in a few weeks.

I tried isolating her for a day, but she was so miserable that it was almost not worth it. 
First I had to make sure Buck came out of the coop first, then I got in and closed the door behind me to indignant shouts from outside that translated roughly as "Bitch!"
You would think that in a space the size of the interior of a Subaru, I'd not have a problem catching one hen.
Wrong.
There's a channel between the roof of the nesting box and the nesting boxes where there is plenty of hay and some manure to create a toxic dust cloud by a reluctant chicken rapidly moving from  one nesting box to the other.
I read somewhere that it is bad form to try to catch a hen and to be unsuccessful because it gives them the idea that they have a chance to foil human efforts and step out of their slave status.  Then they have hope of evolving back to the resourceful and independent jungle fowl ancestors they came from -  {yes, chickens do believe in evolution}.
I am hunched over breathing through my shirt that I'm holding with one hand while I grab for this very fast chicken in a very small space where the visibility is getting worse by the second.
I am in charge. I will succeed.
Putting Barbie into the cat carrier and keeping her there long enough to grow new feathers will mean listening to her outraged remarks until she refuses to speak to me at all and begins to act like Mae who underwent the same treatment and is now fully feathered and round as she should be, but holds me in the lowest regard as a consequence.
Barbie went through all the food and tipped over the water in about 15 minutes.
I'm going to wait until more feathers come off and she's more uncomfortable and then will perhaps be grateful to be separated from the other girls.
She has figured out how to get the protective saddle off, so I figure at this point I've done all I can stand to do, and she's just going to have to take her chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.