Saturday, October 29, 2011

Chickens in the Snow.

We are having our first Nor'Easter, it is as unwelcome to the chickens as to me.
If I really minded snow, I mean to the depths one must need to mind snow, I would go somewhere less pale for the winter.  Venezuela, maybe.
After about an inch of heavy snow and it being dusk, the chickens decided to roost wedged up against the house in a pile hoping to rush inside if the door opened.  They resisted all suggestions to go where there was shelter, food water and a nice place to sleep.
I'm having the floors refinished this week [note to self;  Next time, do this in the summer.] so all my stuff is either on the porch or the deck.  The chickens have gotten their wish, to roost on my furniture.  Becky & Barbie were perched on and befouling my turntable, so they were easily nabbed.
 Buck would have to be next.
I took advantage of how mellow he's been lately to get close enough to grab him and pin him under my arm like a handbag.  He looked sorry to have been so easily deceived, but happily jumped into the coop with Becky and Barbie. They were not as happy to be sharing a coop with the established chickens, and though they have been flocking during the day, how they get along through the storm will tell me more.
Bette, Stella, Feather and Pearl were snatched in unresisting pairs.  I'm not sure they're easier to corner with Buck out of the way, not getting all bent out of shape when they squawk, trying to help or express himself.  At least it's one less element to deal with.
 Bibs is still in the shed, she is growing feathers back, and I'd like to keep it that way.  She was the best at hiding, I found her crouched silently under a low bush that was the same color as she and only catchable by persuading her to jump up on a tarp covered object, making it possible to grab her as she slid back down.  I have found that when I catch a chicken, if I hold their feet underneath them,the way you do a cat, they calm right down.
Buck's recent pacifism doesn't extend to the guys who are refinishing the floor.  They reported to me that Buck seemed really friendly, watching them all day lounging just outside the door.  Then he went after their calves with an enthusiastic beak as soon as their backs were turned.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.