Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Christian American Chickens.

Anybody who tells you that if you introduce a few new chickens into a small flock by night doesn't know my chickens.  I have heard this over and over and over, so yesterday I bought 3 hens under 9 months old to give Buck a little more to do.
Dan told me about some chickens on Craig's list, the price was right and the number was right, so I made the call and talked to a woman who told me she was on her way to church, but I could get them in the afternoon and would find their driveway marked  by an American flag.
This was true, it was the biggest one I've seen outside of an army base or a political speech.
She was paring her flock down and was selling a pretty trio consisting of an araucana and two cochins.
I picked them up on my way to a gathering near Boston.  They were very quiet and  asleep by the time I got there it being 43 degrees North Latitude here, and gets dark early.
When I got back I put them in the coop, still in the cat carrier, but with the door open and short of some sleepy mumbling from both groups, not much was said.
This morning though, I went out, and heard the occasional thumping and cries of distress.  There wasn't time to get a fence up, you can tell by now that I'm not a very organized chicken farmer, so I let Buck out, and the 4 girls followed, the 3 new girls stayed cowering in the coop.  I opened the big door to have a look and they all started yelling at me like teenagers surprised in the bathroom.  Buck & his ladies are  grooming and loitering around my door as usual, it's pouring rain, and I'm not in the mood to go and build a fence.
Ok, ok, ok, I'll go out and build a fence.......
........
Or sort of put one up that has to be made better in the future - before the ground freezes.
By something resembling a miracle, I happened to spark the curiosity of the resident chickens who up to that point had been doing investigative work on the porch, lurking around corners and begging for scraps by the house.
Just at the point where the 2 lengths of chicken wire meet was the point I had to get to to close that gap before the girls and Buck noticed that they were surrounded.
New hens still in the coop.  Won't come out and don't want to talk about it.

Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.