Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Stupidity is a Mother.


That stupid electric door, or the stupid timer, or the stupid person who can't figure out how to get the thing to work reliably is putting my chickens at risk.
The Omega chicken of the bridge club, Pearl, the non-conformist, the dreamer was the only one in the coop last night as I went to do a beak check.  The door had closed shutting everyone else out.
The shed contained the B girls and Buck.  Buck had muscled the ground hen, Bibs out of the favorite cat carrier and was hunkered down inside it giving me the eye.
"What're you looking at.  Never seen a chicken before?"
I had no flashlight and just assumed that the others, Bette the Alpha, Feather and Stella the inseparables, had followed Buck and were roosting in there as well.
This morning, I approached the shed to the sounds of arguing.  The B's were trying to figure out how in the hell that big damned rooster got in there, and Buck was attempting to charm them.  Well -  What passes for charm in Buck's mind.  Looks more like frottage and innuendo to me.
Anyhow, I let them out, crouching out of the way to avoid the flying feathered bodies of hens let loose as though shot from a cannon.
Buck strutted out looked at me.
 "What."  he said.
From under the house across the yard came running and flapping  the alphas who  had something to say to Buck.  Buck circled them dropped a wing, stomped on the ground and life went on as usual.
Bibs is getting tiny little golden feathers.
I still want to keep her separated from everyone at night until she looks less like a target and more like a chicken.
They are all  hanging out  more without needing 50' in between the two groups at all times.
I'm hoping that in another few weeks they might happily share a perch, but I have heard from several people that some groups of chickens just never learn to like each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.