Saturday, December 31, 2011

Approach/Aversion

It being the Festive season, I decided that cold brick under naked toes wasn't as appealing as a nice cheap slab of red indoor-outdoor until spring, when all good chickens should be out trimming their claws on the natural gravel surface that has become my yard.
At one time, I dreamt of a yard full of flowering bushes, established shrubbery and dense perennials.
I have been working on this for years.
Then I got chickens.
The dream, and the plants are gone.
The first thing the hens did the day I brought them home; they weren't even laying yet - was to demolish the day lilies.
Day lilies.
NOTHING can kill day lilies.
except chickens.
Well.
Not kill them exactly,
But profoundly depress them.
Anyhow, I put a rug down, and Buck came in with his girls to get out of the rain and stopped dead at the edge of the rug.

This was followed by some ritual clumping


Then, getting beyond the fact of a Red Sea where once had been familiar brick, it did have to be admitted that the grapes in the center made giving it a try worth it.


              well.........



Not so bad after all......                 









He had to kick the grapes off the rug for the girls, though.  They were not feeling adventurous.


However,
After they had gone and left offerings behind,
there was nothing festive looking about the rug anymore.
I wonder if it can even BE cleaned?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.