Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Don't get too comfortable.

This is the real cruelty of nature: A nice day.
It's sunny, warmish, certainly by December standards, and the chickens are lolling about in the leaves, scratching up what's left of my perennial garden...... now there was a waste of cash - and examining all the things that escaped their notice the last time they  went through the yard.  I think they are trying to fit in every ounce of sunshine and fresh air before winter comes down like a hammer again.
They are so cheerful about the weather when it is charming, and just like everyone else when it isn't.  They are an improvement on humans in this way.



I found  one of those big convex mirrors that are used at intersections to reveal traffic blind spots and which most drivers ignore.  I placed it near one of their favorite locations and watched them admire themselves.  For once, Buck was uninterested.  He will not be fooled again.  The first time he saw a mirror he attacked it.   The second time he walked away grumbling.  As I crossed the yard holding this thing, the size of a satellite dish, he just stood there glaring at me refusing to move off the walk.  Maybe he thought I dared to challenge his authority by bringing another big handsome chicken into the yard.  Not a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.