Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Even chickens have to endure winter

I was in Agway today, asking questions.  I went through 2 or three people before I got someone who did not tell me they weren't "A chicken person".  The trouble with that is that I'm not a chicken person either, I just happen to be a person who is taking care of some chickens.  It often feels as though a ship crashed in my yard dispensing alien beings with needs and plans and it is in my best interests to figure out what they are trying to tell me.  I have learned that when Buck is displeased or upset, he wants me to pay for it.
During the summer, they all knew what to do to get out of the sun,to stay cool and to conserve energy, but I remember how damned tough the last two winters were for me, and I'm worried now for them with their little bodies and their thin skin, their uncovered heads and naked toes.
I have heard that their combs can get frostbite, so I asked about a heat lamp for the coop.
"That'll work if you need to pamper them." the expert said.
"What if they get frostbite on their combs?"
"Well, then, they'll kind of fall off, and grow back later".
I thought that was cold in itself.  I wonder how he would feel is exposed bits of himself fell off in the cold.  Of course, those bits don't grow back in humans, and we tend to take our discomfort more seriously than the discomfort of chickens.
"What about dust baths in the winter?" I asked
"mmmmpphhh!!!"
I was happy to be providing amusement.
"You think I'm going too far for these chickens?'
By this time I had a growing audience of Agway employees, so I just grabbed a few bags of chicken treats and went off to buy sand and create a winter chicken spa.

1 comment:

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.