Sunday, November 13, 2011

Oh No, You Don't.

Yesterday was spent on a windy, cold hilltop with an accordion and no coat.  I have been unable to get warm, so this afternoon, I covered myself in red fleece.  With white accessories, I could be mistaken for Santa Claus at a distance.



Not by Buck, though.



This morning was spent hoeing out the coop and putting up nice branches for the girls as an alternative to being breathed on by a 12 lb rooster all night.  The ladies have been picking the feathers out of Bucks neck.  That will not feel good in a couple of weeks. 
To hoe out and replenish the bedding and supplies in the coop I wore an ensemble consisting of ratty old jeans, crocs and a sweatshirt.  My appearance did not spark any interest or aggression until I changed into red fuzzy clothing, and then Buck decided he really had to do something about the lowered standards.  
He attacked me with full and undiluted attention. I had no shield nearby so I decided to grab him. 
 Easier said than done without a towel or a net.  We had a tussle in which I got pecked numerous times, kicked and hissed at.  He got pinned to the ground.

I picked him up - he didn't care for that either - and held him in my lap, stroked his feathers and told him he was a good chicken.
Nice chicken. 
Pretty Chicken.... 
His pupils dilated. 
They constricted and dilated again. 
He grumbled slightly.  He allowed me to scratch his comb, tickle his neck and 
when I put him on the ground he stood there, considered what to do next and then walked away.
I went into the house.  After a few minutes, Buck and the ladies came 'round to see if there was any lettuce left for them or perhaps something more interesting.  I'm not going back out there though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you, but criticisms will be ignored. It's the beauty of the web. I will answer all friendly remarks. Buck handles the rest.